These bran muffins use buttermilk and applesauce to achieve a moist s
Total Time: 40 minutes
Special Equipment: whisk, muffin tin
- 1 cup (150 g) wheat bran bud cereal such as All Bran Buds
- 1 1/4 cups (300 ml) buttermilk
- 2/3 cup (100 g) whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cup (100 g) flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoon (17 g) baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon (3.5 g) salt
- 3/4 cup (112 g) sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) canola oil
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 1 cup (150 g) diced peaches, from about 1 large peach
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 350°F (180°C) . Line 16 muffin cups with paper liners. In a small bowl, combine bran buds and buttermilk; let stand 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together wheat flour, flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together sugar and egg until frothy. Add apple sauce, canola oil, and vanilla, and whisk until combined. Whisk in buttermilk mixture.
- Add dry ingredients to bowl and stir to combine. Stir in peaches. Fill each muffin cup 3/4 full with batter. Bake until a cake tester inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes in pan then remove to a wire rack to finish cooling.