Day-old bread is best for this recipe. If you can’t find brioche loaf substitute with challah.
About This Recipe
Yield: Makes 4 sandwiches
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Special Equipment: Small saucepan or microwave, cooling rack, rimmed baking sheet, large skillet, cutting board
- 1 cup (59 ml) red currant jelly
- 10 tablespoons (150 ml) unsalted butter, softened
- 8 slices brioche loaf, sliced 1-inch (2,5 cm) thick (see note above)
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) Dijon mustard (optional)
- 12 slices ham
- 8 slices Swiss cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (118 ml) vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2/3 (158 ml) cup milk
- 1/4 (1 ml) teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup (50 ml) confectioner’s sugar for dusting
- In small bowl, combine 1/4 cup (59 ml) jelly and 2 tablespoons (30 ml) butter. Spread 4 slices bread with mixture. Spread remaining 4 slices with (optional) mustard. Top each buttered slice in this order: 1 slice cheese, 3 slices ham, and 1 slice cheese. Top with bread (mustard side-down, if using) and press down lightly. Butter both sides of sandwiches with additional 4 tablespoons butter and set aside.
- In small saucepan or bowl in microwave, heat remaining 3/4 cup (177 ml) currant jelly. Stir to smooth, cover, and keep warm. In large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, and salt. Carefully dip one sandwich in egg mixture and allow to soak for 10 to 15 seconds. Turn and soak for another 10 to 15 seconds. Transfer sandwich to cooling rack set inside rimmed baking sheet. Repeat with remaining sandwiches.
- Heat 1/4 cup (59 ml) oil and 2 tablespoons (30 ml) butter in large skillet over medium-high heat until foaming subsides but butter is not brown. Fry 2 sandwiches at a time, until golden, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to cutting board. If skillet is dry, add remaining 1/4 cup (59 ml) oil and remaining 2 tablespoons (30 ml) butter and repeat with remaining 2 sandwiches.
- Cool sandwiches 2 minutes, then cut in half, dust with confectioners’ sugar and serve with warm currant jelly.
Fried Eggs with Bacon and Ramps